SMG Tuition and enrollment procedures:
Your Six Month “Ultra Insider” Training Program Includes…
…eight sports broadcasting teachers for the price of one.
In any learning situation, your instructor is one of the most important elements for success. Here’s where SMG provides you an unfair advantage over your competition.
In addition to your in-station sports broadcasting mentor-instructor, SMG’s curriculum provides you with seven additional sportscasting mentors with remarkable backgrounds, including:
- Bruce Gilbert – SVP of Sports Operations at Clear Channel Media & Entertainment
- Larry Gifford – Program Director at ESPN Los Angeles & KIRO Seattle
- Hacksaw Hamilton – XTRA Sports 1360 & NFL play-by-play announcer
- Ron Barr – Sports Byline owner
- Jeff Schwartz – Program Director ESPN Chicago
- Rob Buska – NBC Sports Talk Show Host
- Larry Kreuger – KNBR SAN Francisco & Comcast Show Host
Secrets to Sports Broadcasting Success Series
The Secrets to Sports Broadcasting Success seminar series reveals insider knowledge of all aspects of the business in over four hours of seminar training. This one of a kind specially-made training information, which is not available to the general public,reveals to you the following:
- How to develop professional quality play-by-play announcing skills
- Insider secrets to hosting a network-caliber sports talk show
- How to skillfully host your own radio show
- ESPN’s “seven deadly sins” of interviewing series
- Three ways to break into sportscasting without quitting your current job
- How to land the sports broadcasting job of your dreams
- Where to find hidden job opportunities that others never think to look
- Two stealth tactics you can use for hosting your own sports talk show – today
- You’ll hear actual demo tapes that landed other sportscasters their jobs
- You’ll discover step-by-step tactics to gain experience before ever being hired
- You’ll know EXACTLY what to say when following up on your application
- You’ll be shown two little-known tips to build your network of industry contacts
- You’ll know the best time to directly reach the decision-maker
- You’ll have a clear understanding of how to produce winning demo tapes and resumes that get you hired … and much, much more.
Other course curriculum areas covered include (written & video):
- Introduction to Professional Announcing
- The Studio Environment – Radio
- Vocal Development
- Performance Development
- Commercial Announcing
- Interviewing Techniques
- News Announcing
- Specialty Announcing
- Beginning an Announcing Career
- Copywriting Essentials
Tele-conference calls with sports broadcasting mentors
Your curriculum materials also include three priceless conference calls discussing specific topics of required learning from the following sportscasters:
- Lee “Hacksaw” Hamilton, from XTRA Sports 1360, shares insights about game week preparation and interviews, challenges to working a two and three-man booth, charting players, skill sets required for broadcasting various sports, and keys to successful sports talk hosting. Truly a pioneer and legend in sports talk radio, “Hacksaws” 30-year broadcasting career has also included being the play-by-play voice for the Seattle Seahawks, San Diego Chargers, Minnesota Vikings, USC Trojans, Arizona State Sun Devils, and San Diego State University.
- Larry Krueger from KNBR and Comcast will teach you stealth tactics for breaking into sports broadcasting from a completely unrelated field (just as he did). Larry will share with you the same networking strategies he used to become the evening sports talk host for 10 years on San Francisco’s KNBR.
- Rob Buska from NBC sports will teach you the same techniques he uses to secure sports broadcasting rights. Rob provides you with the same step-by-step methods he uses, which enabled him to secure the broadcasting rights for the 2004 NCAA Champion Cal State Fullerton baseball team. Of course, after securing the broadcasting rights, Rob promptly “hired” himself to be the play-by-play announcer. Rob has also used the same ingenious methods you’ll discover to secure the broadcasting rights to Mater Dei and Santa Margarita football, and the Rancho Cucamonga Quakes minor league baseball team.
Portfolio assessment & consultation with talent agent and Sports Broadcasting Coach, David Brody
Besides properly training you as a sports broadcaster and preparing you for employment, SMG also ensures that your portfolio is presented in a professional manner, according to industry standards and expectations.
Current talent agent and on-air talent coach, David Brody, will personally ensure your professional demo portfolio has the winning touch. Here’s how it works:
- You submit your portfolio to David for professional assessment before sending it out.
- You receive a detailed critique of your portfolio (a $125 value! Included at no extra cost!).
- You’ll have your “Action Plan” report assessed, modified, and improved upon by David.
But wait, there’s more… these ADDITIONAL training materials you’ll receive will further enhance your learning experience.
Talk Show Hosting Specifics
Who better to teach you sports talk show hosting techniques than the people who do the hiring? In this section, VP of Sports Operations for Clear Channel Media, Bruce Gilbert, and Sports Byline owner Ron Barr will share show hosting insights on:
Veteran NFL and NBA play-by-play announcers will teach you these strategies:
- What Makes an Elite PBP Announcer
- Developing a Style
- Four Keys to Play-by-Play Success
- Prepare for Everything
- Play-by-Play Do’s and Don’ts
- Q&A Session
College basketball play-by-play announcers also discuss:
- Breaking into Play-by-Play
- Working with an Analyst
- TV Production Meetings
- Developing Your Style
- Spotting Charts
Broadcasting Employment Secrets
Bruce Gilbert, Larry Gifford (ESPN radio), and Jeff Schwartz (ESPN Chicago) cover the following topics:
- What ESPN Looks for in a Hire
- Common Questions in the Job Interview
- Questions You Should Ask in the Job Interview
- Q&A Building Your Demo
- Q&A Building Your Resume: Writing Samples
- How to Break into Radio
- No Such Thing as a Bad Idea
- Selling Yourself in the Job Market
- How Not to Get a Job (one & two)
- What You SHOULD Do to Get a Job
- Being a Leader at Your Station
NOTE: A 10% registration fee is due before your in-station interview with a prospective mentor. This fee is then applied towards your total tuition cost. Your registration fee is completely refundable if SMG is unable to set up an interview or place you for training. The balance of your tuition fee is only due when you have been successfully placed for training with an acceptable mentor.
Alternative financing sources
- If you’re eligible for job training or retraining, many state agencies have vocational rehab and job training programs that may pay for your SMG training. Check with your counselor, or have them contact SMG regarding eligibility.
- 401k plans may be utilized, without penalty, for educational purposes.
- Employee reimbursement programs – check with your human resources department.
- VA Voc rehab. SMG is an approved vendor through the VA, but veterans must have a disability rating to qualify.
Visa & Mastercard accepted. Financing available.
Six Month “Ultra Insider” Payment Options
Full Cash Pay Best Deal!
- Just $7,750
- $1,000 discount applied (regular price $8,750)
Option two: Financing through Universal Guardian Acceptance
- Base price $8,750
- $1,000 down-payment required
- 24 monthly payments @ 17.9% interest
- $386.54 each monthly payment
- Total cost including finance charges: $10,276.96
- Credit check required
In-house one year financing
- Base price $8,750
- $4,500 down payment required
- 12 monthly payments @17.9% interest
- $389.44 each monthly payment
- Total cost including finance charges: $9,173.28
- No credit check required
Working with a sportscasting mentor established a foundation for me and opened doors that I couldn’t have done on my own. The experience has served me well to this very day.
The 3 Month “Supreme Insider” training program includes:
- In-station instructional sessions with your mentor – 3 months
- Structured learning using the most in-depth and contemporary sports broadcasting course curriculum available
- Online seminars taught by Sports Broadcasters or program directors
- Continuing education opportunities long after your training has concluded
- Three months of tele-conference classes with sports broadcasting mentors
- Convenient training schedule that YOU set
- Three months of Group Mastermind Conference Calls for networking and idea exchange with professional talent agent or sportscaster as moderator
- Host your own sports radio show while training
- One year job placement assistance
- Demo tape creation and portfolio assistance
NOTE: A registration fee is due before your in-station interview with a prospective mentor, and is applied towards your total cost. Your registration fee is refundable if SMG is unable to set up an interview or place you for training.
Alternative financing sources
- If you’re eligible for job training or retraining, many state agencies have vocational rehab and job training programs that may pay for your SMG training. Check with your counselor or have them contact SMG regarding eligibility.
- 401k plans may be utilized without penalty for educational purposes
- Employee reimbursement programs – check with your human resources department
- VA Voc rehab. Veterans must have disability rating to qualify.
Visa & Mastercard accepted. Financing available.
Option one: Full Cash Pay Best Deal!
- Just $6,497
- $500 discount applied (regular price $6,997)
Option two: In-house Financing
- Base price $6,997
- $3,500 down payment to start
- Nine monthly payments of $388.55
SMG Enrollment Procedures
Whether you have an unanswered question, or are ready to take action to begin your dream of becoming a sports broadcaster, please fill out the contact form or call our office to begin the process.
SMG conveniently accepts: MasterCard – Visa – American Express – Discover
So, summing up:
Here’s a chance to take control of your destiny and create your dream opportunity for a career in sports broadcasting. Your journey will be guided by a professional sports broadcaster in a real sports radio station, so you’re never completely on your own.
Best of all, you can begin pursuing the job of your dreams today at an affordable cost, with convenient training times to accommodate any schedule. To make that happen, all you have to do is one of these two things right now:
- Submit your info on our contact form, or
- Call SMG, where our office is open between 9am-10pm PST Monday-Friday and 10am-5pm EST Saturday. A friendly SMG consultant will gladly address any additional questions you may have.
People are often skeptical when it comes to finding things on the Internet. There seems to be a certain, “if it seems too good to be true, it probably is” mentality. That’s what everyone around me was saying when I first brought up training with your company. Maybe I’m a little naive but it worked out in my favor this time.